PART 1 GENERAL
1.1 DESCRIPTION OF WORK
This section includes design, fabrication and installation of fully extruded aluminum walkway covers and extruded aluminum canopies with a protective finish as specified by the drawings and specifications.
Section 03100 – Concrete Forms and Accessories.
Section 03300 – Cast-In-Place Concrete.
- Aluminum Design Manual 2005, The Aluminum Association
- ASCE/SEI 7-05 Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structure
- AAMA – American Architectural Manufacturers Association
- ASTM B221 – 08 Standard Specification for Aluminum and Aluminum-Alloy
- Extruded Bars, Rods, Wire, Profiles, and Tubes
- ASTM B429/B429M – 06 Standard Specification for Aluminum-Alloy
- Extruded Structural Pipe and Tube
- International Building Code 2006
- AWS D1.2/D1.2M:2003, Structural Welding Code – Aluminum
- Shop Drawings: Submit complete drawings showing the applicable live and wind load for the project. These drawings must bear the seal of a registered engineer.
- Samples: Color selection samples of the actual coating or anodizing of the aluminum components.
- Product Data: Manufacturer catalog data and detail sheets.
1.5 QUALITY ASSURANCE
The fabrication and installation of the aluminum canopy shall be done by the manufacturer.
Manufacturer – Aluminum Techniques Inc. shall provide a one year warranty against defects in material, fabrication and installation.
PART 2 PRODUCTS
2.1 – MANUFACTURER
Aluminum Techniques Inc.
13302 Redfish Lane
Stafford, TX 77477
2.2 – MATERIALS
All aluminum extrusion:
- 6063 alloy, T6 temper
- 6005 alloy, T6 temper
- 6005 alloy, T5 temper
All alloys as per ASTM B221
Columns: Radius cornered aluminum tubular extrusion.
Beams: Open or closed extrusions.
Deck: Extruded self-flashing sections that interlock to form a rigid deck.
Fascia Trim: Manufacturers standard shapes.
All above components will be sized as per the shop drawings.
2.3 – FINISHES
Finishes of the final product will be specified by the architect. Available finishes are clear anodized, bronze anodized and polyester or Kynar paint in the manufacturer’s standard colors.
2.4 – FASTENERS
Mechanical fasteners shall be concealed where possible. Stainless steel will be used where acceptable by the engineer. If carbon steel is required, then only specially coated fasteners will be used to protect against corrosion.
Part 3 EXECUTION
3.1 – FIELD VERIFICATION
Location and attachment of the canopy must be field verified before fabrication. If changes are necessary, the shop drawings will be updated.
3.2 – FABRICATION AND INSTALLATION
- Supporting structure of canopy shall be designed in such a way to internally drain.
- Columns, beams and all internal connections shall be GMAW(Gas Metal Arc Welding).
- Installation of the manufacturer’s product should be one of the last before overall project completion.
- Installation shall be performed according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Field assembly of fabricated components shall be bolted with approved fasteners as per the engineer on record.
- Installation of the cover shall be level, plumb and true in a workmanlike manner.
- Concrete fill-in of areas around columns shall be done by the General Contractor unless otherwise called out in the work order.
- Flashing will be installed where needed.
- Downspout columns must be filled with grout for smooth water flow at the outlet to prevent standing water.
3.3 – CLEANING AND PROTECTION
- During assembly and installation the finish of the material shall be protected from scratches, nicks, dents and concrete exposure.
- The walkway cover components shall be cleaned after completion of installation.